PhD Candidate(SFB 1102)
Hello World! I am Anupama Chingacham, a doctoral student in the Department of Computer Science at Saarland University, Germany. Under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Dietrich Klakow and Prof. Dr. Vera Demberg, my current research is on paraphrasing to improve speech perception in noise . Recently, we proposed a novel framework for noise-adaptive spoken dialogue systems, which utilizes paraphrases to generate better intelligible utterances. My research interest, however, spans multiple areas in computational linguistics, especially in the landscape of employing large-scale pre-trained language models (PLMs) for low-resource settings and controlled text generation problems.
- June 2023 Invited talk at EXPRESSION team in IRISA, France.
- Jan 2023 Invited talk at COG-MHEAR team in Edinburgh Napier University, United Kingdom.
- Jan 2023 Poster presentation at IEEE SLT, Qatar.
- Sept 2021 Our work received a Best Student Paper award at Interspeech!
- Sept 2021 Paper presentation at Interspeech, Czechia (hybrid).
- Dec 2018 Paper presentation at CLiC-it, Italy.
A Data-Driven Investigation of Noise-Adaptive Utterance Generation with Linguistic Modification Chingacham, Anupama and Demberg, Vera and Klakow, Dietrich Ninth IEEE Spoken Language Technology Workshop, 2023
Exploring the Potential of Lexical Paraphrases for Mitigating Noise-Induced Comprehension Errors Chingacham, Anupama and Demberg, Vera and Klakow, Dietrich 22nd INTERSPEECH Conference, 2021
Generalizing Representations of Lexical Semantic Relations Chingacham, Anupama and Paperno, Denis Fifth Italian Conference on Computational Linguistics, 2018
- PiN: Paraphrases in Noise Dataset - annotated with sentence-level intelligibility of sentential-paraphrases in noisy environments.
- SiN: Synonyms in Noise Dataset - annotated with word intelligibility of synonyms in noisy listening setups.
- Relational Representations Python, PyTorch - an extended Skip-gram model to represent semantic relation between two lexical units.
A growing list of my volunteerism
- Feb 2023 - Present Member @ Toastmasters International
- Jan 2023 - Present Language teacher @ Malayalam School
- Oct 2021 - Dec 2022 Member @ ISCA-SAC Mentoring Team
- Feb 2019 - June 2022 PhD Representative @ SFB 1102
- Feb 2015 - June 2016 Mentor @ Mentor Together
- Feb 2011 - June 2014 Tutor @ Make A Difference
University of Saarland, Germany
Oct 2018 - presentPi-SPIN: Paraphrase to improve Speech Prception in Noise.
Loria, CNRS, France
Feb 2018 - July 2018
Explored an unsupervised method to represent lexical relations.Published our findings at CLiC-it conference.
MSc Natural Language Procesing
Lorraine University, France
Sept 2017 - July 2018Acquired knowledge on data modeling techniques and its application on NLP problems like for semantic parsing.
Networking Engineer Consultant
Cisco Systems Pvt Ltd (India)
Sept 2014 - Aug 2017Automated applications migration plan generation.
Orchetrated application migration for multiple service providers.
Masters in Software Engineering (5 Year Integrated)
Vellore Institute of Technology, India
2009 - 2014A recipient of Top 10 Academic Performers award for 4 years.